Tuesday, October 30, 2012

SUPER Excited! (yes, FPIES, I know you're still here.. no need to remind me!)

****HAPPY DANCE****

Oh, yes!  YES!  I'm so excited!  Wheat is a pass!  WHEAT!

This opens up so many food doors, I'm not sure it can be properly communicated on a blog post.  You'll just have to take my word for it.  This is huge.  In the last couple of weeks, Livvy has been eating crackers!  Holy crap, my FPIES baby is eating crackers!  And (this is just waaaaaay too cool) she had her first slice of bread this past Sunday.  I found a fabulous tiny bread maker and dumped in several safe ingredients ... voila!  Bread!  

There are moments in this FPIES craziness that just strike a cord in me somewhere.  Watching Liv eat a slice of bread (and thoroughly enjoying it, by the way) was just the coolest thing... well... since sliced bread! Truth be told I was fighting back tears.  It was just such an awesome day.  Such a seemingly small thing to anybody on the outside looking in, but any FPIES family knows- something as stupendously 'normal' as a slice of bread is a major milestone.  

So I got to thinking (there I go again, I always get myself into trouble doing this!) that maybe we were outgrowing some of our sensitivity?  Just a little?  I know for a fact that having strict corn avoidance and significantly cutting down on formula (with corn syrup) has really toned down her sensitivity to react to certain things, and I think its also helped us pass the last few trials so easily.  

I mean, we really have just had a stellar last few weeks for the most part.  Its times like these that an FPIES mama could come to question herself and her interpretation on the seriousness of the situation.  

         Is it really that bad?  Am I nuts?! 

** if you know me in real life, please refrain from answering the last question....* ;)

Aaaaaand then we had today.  The FPIES princess decided that teething those pesky upper molars on a board book was a good idea.  First of all, the book shouldn't have been where it was and nobody wants to fess up to the deed... mmm hmmm...  But the kid was eating the flipping book!  GAH!  Seriously, kid??!  

We proceeded to have a pretty unhappy afternoon.  She refused to sleep.  Refused to eat.  Only wanted a bottle (yes, she's still drinking her neocate and almond milk from a bottle.  I'm not all that stressed out about switching to a cup either.  If you've got an issue with my kid drinking from a bottle... well... bite me!) and THEN the anger errupted from the other end.  A child with previously not so much as a hint of redness in her diaper area pooped and almost instantly had patches of bleeding areas that the skin just was eaten away along with raised, welted redness in other spots.  Poor baby was crying so hard for the diaper change, I thought for sure she was going to hyperventilate.  We're having a pretty restless night for sleep so far.  I know she'll be better going into tomorrow, although we'll probably have a couple more nasty diapers.  

Listen, FPIES:  I know you're still here, and very much part of our lives.  There's no need to remind us so angrily!  

Overall, I'm feeling very optimistic these days.  Livvy is thriving and doing well with food trials.  If we could just cut out these darn accidental exposures, we'd all live happily ever after.  

No comments:

Post a Comment