Monday, May 28, 2012

Peaches and Cream

Good news to report!  I think peaches are a pass!  Very exciting stuff around here.  An uneventful food trial makes Mama very happy... and more importantly makes Livvy happy! We have now gone about the longest stretch in her life without a reaction (of one level or another) to something.  And the bonus???  She's been SLEEPING.  Like- sleep through the night sleeping!

*****HALLELUJAH ***** can you hear the chorus singing it now??? because I sure can!


If we react to something, this all will stop of course, but for this moment in time she is doing so amazingly well!  Its because she feels so good.  She's such a happy and content kid when she's feeling well.

Speaking of happy kids, we have taken L out for some fun this weekend and I am very excited to report that she got to spend it eating fun stuff just like all the other kids around us!  Her dairy intolerance was still with us until the end of the summer last year so this is the first summer in her little life that she's been 'free' to eat fun stuff;  avoiding peanuts like the plague of course.  We went to the beach the other day and I noticed an ice cream truck hanging out by the bath houses.  As per normal protocol we walked waaaaaay around the truck so it wasn't noticed by her on the way in.  I sneaked back out after an hour or so to talk to turkey with the ice cream dude.
  After scaring the bejeezes out of him with the explanation of my kid's peanut allergy he went on to explain that the only things with peanut products in the truck were two pre-packaged treats that were kept in a completely separate freezer from the hand-dipped ice cream flavors (vanilla, chocolate, mint chocolate chip and cookies and cream).  He also took the time to take all the ice cream tubs out and read the labels aloud AND gave me the box from the cones to look at to make sure there was nothing there either.   It was as 'all clear' as one could hope for without making my own ice cream out of milk gathered by hand from a dairy cow in the backyard... which, by the way- I don't have.  The cow.. The kids create enough of a barnyard environment as it is!
I happily skipped up the sand with a grin on my face.  After a little while, we asked L if she would like to get some ICE CREAM on the way out.  Her little face lit up and we recieved an emphatic yes.  So we went down and got ice cream.  L was all smiles with that single scoop vanilla cone's contents melting down her arms.  It seemed like such a small, normal thing to everyone around us.  But for us, it was a piece of normalcy that we simply hadn't been able to have before now.   A few fleeting thoughts of the last few years spent avoiding ice cream trucks, birthday parties and tears shed over not understanding why she couldn't have a cookie somebody else had, ran through my head.  For a moment I felt my eyes well up with happiness for my oldest child who was finally getting to enjoy something so simple as a day at the beach with an ice cream cone.
Then that all got pushed out of my head and we enjoyed the moment.  It was great.  Really great.

I'm holding out hope that we'll have a moment like that with Livvy some day.  We'll take the peaches victory for now, though, and be happy for L's ice cream adventures!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! This is SUCH a happy post!! LOVE IT! For L and Livvy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a good day to round out a good week! L was absolutely thrilled with her ice cream. Its a good thing I had my sunglasses on... I might have let a tear or two go under there ;)

      Delete