Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Well, of course I do!

There is something, it seems, often said to parents of kiddos with FPIES.
I know it comes from a good and well-intentioned place.

'Well at least she should outgrow it, right?  Betcha can't wait till then!'

While this is 'hopeful' and, again, I know its well-intentioned- it is also very insensitive to the fact that we are living with this NOW.  Yesterday, tomorrow, and two weeks from now.  FPIES will be part of our daily lives.   Our family can't live in suspended animation until a magical time in Liv's development that she wakes up with a flashing neon sign on her forehead saying "OK, ITS ALL CLEAR!  I'VE OUTGROWN FPIES!  CALL FOR PIZZA AND CHINESE TAKE OUT- EXTRA RICE!"

Our daily lives can't revolve around a wish that 3-5 years from now Livvy will outgrow her issues.  The fact is that, yes, she might absolutely wake up at age 3 on the dot and be free of FPIES.  But what if she doesn't?   Should I be disappointed if she doesn't?    It is also quite possible that we will be dealing with multiple food allergies and everything that goes with it for many years to come.  And you know what?  That's just going to have to be OK.  It is what it is, and its just part of Livvy right now.

Of course, I want desperately for my baby girl to be able to eat anything she darn well pleases.  Of course I do!  But that just isn't going to happen any time soon.  We've got to make her daily life as flavorful and 'normal' as possible NOW.  We are still in the beginning stages of trialing foods.  We have several passes so far and I am thrilled!  I want to her to grow up concentrating on what she CAN have not what she can't.  If Livvy does outgrow some or all of her FPIES triggers, I will be forever grateful.  If not, I will still be forever grateful- that we have a happy little angel of a girl that loves living life and giggling at her silly sister.  


No comments:

Post a Comment